9 MT. DAGULDOL: IN THE MIDDLE OF HEAVY RAINS



After a very long time of planning; meeting everyone’s schedule finally has been set. I would say the most coveted traverse ever has been through. Eleven people, one team – three unknowns, one summit, Christmas time. Conquering Mount Daguldol wasn’t very easy due to unexpected challenges come along in the middle of the trek. Started from a sundrenched Manila to a little rain showers throughout the length of travel down to a heavy rainfalls way to the zenith.

Meeting place at 7-11 across Shangrila Hotel between 0900-1000. Expect that “late” is just a usual business for the Filipinos. I’m not going to discuss further – so we left the store around 1130. Since the team is composed of eleven people, we settled on renting a jeep (10k) that would bring us forth and back to Batangas. It is more convenience and less expense.

We arrived noon in San Juan proper so we had our lunch then buy stuff in Puregold for the trek. I had the greatest carbo-load ever needed for the dried out traverse. Everyone is also set, putting those protective suits against direct sunlight plus the instant  Vicky Belofied faces and body courtesy of 300-500% SPF. Katuwaan lang.



Thirty more minutes before reaching Sitio Catmon where the ascent officially started. Stop at Brgy. Hugom for registration P30/each and the mandatory tour guide. We chose not to take the shorelines since we already had the service that would bring us straight to Sitios Biga and Catmon. Reminder lang po sa mga magdadala ng sasakyan, medyo matarik ung daan palusong at pababa pero kaya naman ng sasakyan. Always use "primera" para chillax ang makina.







We reached the base at Sitio Catmon. Strike a pose, prepare ourselves, wear a smile, practise the bones and back, say a lil prayer for one's safe. We are ready. 


Okay let's begin..


I placed myself after the leader since I missed climbing. It was eight months ago before this third ascent. I prepared myself, went to gym four to five times a week and spent more on cycling. I need my legs well prepared for the narrow cliff and steep. I need to have a longer stamina for this climb. Along the way, first five to ten minutes right after the jump-off we met group of UP students who went from Naambon falls and greeted as tradition. Then I keep going as I need to follow steps and the pacing. After likely ten minutes, sweat flows thoroughly and I heard myself panting. Mukhang tutumbasan lang sampung minuto ang dalawang buwang kong preparation. 




I looked Jha and the girls. They look so fresh and still wearing a smile. They looked excited and confident, but look at their faces, filled out with adobo oils..and I know they were running out of breath as well. Tama ba?! Hehe





Finally Gene and I reached the first shed after fifteen minutes of non-stop walking. I feel exhausted, I need to open my mouth as wide as I can; I need to breathe. We took rest for couple of minutes while waiting for others who might’ve been resting already. My mind refused to ask what time will we get to summit because I know it would be 5-6 hours of walking. So i need to save more energy. I opened lollipop before resume so that my body itself produces saliva against hydration.



Another more minutes of walking until we reached the first group of houses ( I dunno who owned the house, forgot to ask) they offered halo-halo. Sa kasamaang palad nakataob lahat ng baso pati ung box ng lalagyan ng yelo. So what other guys did is to look for talangka. There is a small river on the side with flowing water and where villagers wash their clothes.


Finally, we reached Mang Lizardo place. The popular name in the blogsphere from the people who conquered the mountain. Rest for couple of minutes while looking at the highest point covered with thick fogs and clouds. 


Waiting for couple of minutes until everyone relieve. So these cute oldies couples passing through us riding horse with some bits and pieces that I think need to bring down the village. I'm so fond despite the fact that they were oldies that they can still ride a horse. Hats off. 

Resume walking again after couple of minutes rest.


Then we reached the third camp. So I put my bag down and get 20 peso bill. While sipping, out of curiosity I walked up on the other house where other villagers busy packing up copra. They said, it will send to Lucena City. So I asked one to taste. I like it. I crush it into small pieces using my teeth then sip the juice and throw the “sapal”. While it the midst of rest, the clouds seems to be not friendly enough for us. 






While in the midst of rest, the clouds seem to be not friendly enough for us. In a bit of minutes rain will fall down. So we rushed out, pack our things and started walking faster than a normal pace. Nung marating na namin yong batuhan, dun nag umpisa umiyak ang langit. It was a heavy rain. No resthouse, just coconut trees who cannot cover us from the rain. Isa pa madilim dilim na ang paligid. Good thing I was able to bring plastic bags. I asked time to secure my clothes and gadgets. Wala rin akong dalang flashlight, pero may payong ako, at kulay pula. No more pictures, all gadgets are secured and so we proceed the night trek. You can’t explain the feeling of walking in the rain under the declivity of the steep in a dark sorroudnings. San ka pa?  But then it’s the will conquers the extreme challenge. Our objective is to get unto the final shed where we can stay the entire night if the rain wouldn’t stop. 


The shed served as an evacuation centre, we can’t proceed to the summit since the rain continuously falling. The instincts told us to stay until the rain stops. Everyone is wet; the place getting colder, the winds freezes our tiny body. So we need to change clothes at least to fight against the foggy environs. And so the guide leaves us there since he still need to go down for his family. Cook for dinner, then a little drinking sitting. Until few minutes later, three campers (the three unknowns I mentioned in the first part) passed through. Nagtanong lang sila kung ilang minutes na lang before summit.

The cold weather didn’t win. We have the best group ever. No one beats the jester. Good looking actors, we have the best entertainers, we have the general, we have the Ch.2 president. What else lookin’ for fellas?! Walang humpay na tawanan, sa gitna ng tagayan.  Oh ha.

…hip hop dong puge puge, puge puge na hip hop pa.






Around 9:30 after dinner and in the middle of drinking session, the rain stopped. We only heard raindrops from the trees. So everyone shall decide to carry on to the summit. Majority wins, proceed to the summit around 10pm. Ginawa namin close pacing, mabagal man ang mahalaga ligtas. And the rains is about to fall again, prayer works. Instead of thirty minutes walk, it ended up to one hour. Not a problem atleast everyone was safe.  Finally we hit the summit!!!












..to be continued at the Summit and Sidetrips. See here: http://www.iambuchok.com/2012/09/part-ii-mt-daguldol-extreme-challenge_4.html


9 COMMENTS:

lhonsky06 said...

Sir may contact details po b kau ng barangay hugom? thanks.

Batang Gala said...

Sir pacensiya na hindi ko natanong. Pero mukhang wala kasi walang signal. Nagkasignal ung phone ko sa summit na, on and off pa.

Anonymous said...

May skul po b na malapit sa barangay? need lang po namen for a charity work. thanks...

Balang Gala said...

Ouch I can't answer. I dunno. However I'll try reaching other bloggers or people living the area. I'll post asap once i get the info.

**nway, godbless u for this charity work.

lhonsky06 said...

It's a book donation project and tree planting activities, simple help for the locals especially the students, additional reading references for them, parang climb for a cause na din sir

lhonsky06 said...

Sir ung na-hire nyo po na jeep san po nanggaling? Ung inindicate nyo po na 10K is balikan? thanks po

Batang Gala said...

Yep sir, nasa usapan po na 10k balikan. Depende po sa usapan sir.

Batang Gala said...

Sir if you want, comment ka na lang dito if you need contacts dun sa naarkila namin.

lhonsky06 said...

Sir pa-post naman po ng contact nung naarkilang nyong jeep, thanks

Popular posts

 

THEKIDWANDERER Copyright © 2011 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates