7 MT. PULAG: A CLIMB BEYOND FREEZING POINT



Attention: This post is fully loaded with photos.
I found myself sitting in front of phenomenal sea of clouds formation that looks like an oceans pouring atop of the mountain ranges, it’s where the skies and grounds met. Les Miserables said, I dreamed a dream in time gone by; When hope was high; And life worth living – It’s truly life worth living when the journey is on top of your dreams, I found then freedom. It’s liberty living in front of Mt. Pulag’s unparalleled paradise.

OPENING SALVO
The kick-off of 2013 for TOSOC MOUNTAINEERS opens a Pulag Dream. This is a good start for us guys where we simply conquered one of the highest peaks. And now we are seeking for more mountain tops this year. Kudos for a good start.

THE PREPARATION
It was September of last year an invitation from our climb society arrived crashing out social page; I was then thinking if I should go. I understand that it will take another time before the next rare Pulag climb so I have to decide as quickly as possible. I was the last person who decided to join. For only P3,500 per head, the package is already inclusive of the following:
  • Manila-Baguio-Manila via Victory Liner
  • Baguio-Ambangueg-Baguio via 4x4 Monster Jeep
  • Breakfast at Pinkanjo Eatery
  • Registration Fee
  • T-Shirt for our group
  • Tour Guide
  • Porter
  • Food [breakfast-lunch-dinner; lunch@Ate Gina]
*This package is exclusive only for our group; normally we climb not less than ten people so we could rent a jeep which is hassle-free and to avoid commute with full baggage hacking at your back.

Mike [our group admin] provided the checklist – important things to bring and who organized everything – as in EVERYTHING! What else then to do? Sit back and relax, a big round of applause idol.

For your reference you can contact Ate Gina @0919.816.9234 who managed chartered jeep tours and will also provide lunch and shower at her house after climb. And also prior for the checklist please include these things on your checklist and don’t forget:
  • Ground Sheet [this is very important, it can rain anytime and if not for moist protection]
  • Sleeping Bag [two shirts, three jackets is not enough, cold can still break your bones]
  • Camping Tent [Obviously]
  • Utensils, Wet Wipes, Tissue, Alcohol
THE TIMELINE
{10:48PM} I respect time, [forget about it]. It was Friday night and the normal traffic jam waiting, and for strict compliance I need to be at the terminal before 8pm so I decided to take cab from Makati to Cubao. I arrived three minutes before 8 so I’m IN..no bitter feelings we left Cubao at exactly 10:48pm. Since I had my shift night before that day I decided not to sleep when I got home in order for me to get comfy sleep en route to Baguio. It’s a long travel so as much as I want when I wake up I’m there already.

{04:21AM} Arrived at Baguio City, with only shorts and thin jacket wearing I never expect that I will be welcome with a dead freezing atmosphere. I was holding my phone texting but my fingers got numb and cannot even move. The cold air entered my body quickly, my organs got fried and my body was frozen. We hurriedly jump to 7-11 store where the chartered jeep waiting. We stayed there for couple of minutes while changing our clothes to protect our pity body from the damn cold atmosphere.

{05:02AM} On our way to Benguet, everyone changed with thick jackets and head gears, some are already wearing their scarf. First thirty minutes, everyone get excited and chatting about the cold weather upon reaching Baguio and so what more in Pulag. An hour later, I feel like faint from a zigzag road and I know everyone felt the same. I can’t even sleep – I need to hand over the rails or else my dead body will be thrown elsewhere. 


{06:10AM} Arrived at Pinkanjo Eatery. I think we were the second group arrived. Everyone is ready, Pinkanjo is ready to serve the starving mountaineers – feel to choose since they offer different kinds of dish. I ordered Beef Steak and Papaitan Soup. It was delicious although the taste is quite different from your usual flavour but they mean it to be unique but still Beef Steak. I'm very full especially when the Hot Soup ran towards my throat down to my belly..ahh! Sarap.


And if you feel like need to “poop” and take that crap out on your tummy, Pinkanjo has two cubicles both Male and Female on the right side of canteen, and shud expect very cold water that will tap your thin-skin backdoor.

{06:40AM} Left Pinkanjo and heading to DENR. I feel like excited from our dizzy road trip so I decided to ride at the top load – girls were also game into the kind of adventure. We were divided into two since everyone would like to experience the monster ride on top of chartered jeep. The other group left inside. For every curve lane we were passing through was the spirit of shout and joy broadcast the winding road. Especially Donna. :)


SIDETRIP – AMBUKLAO DAM
Mike asked ate Gina who was with us if we could drop by at Ambuklao Dam which is also on the way to DENR for picture taking and she compelled. It was then my first time to visit a Dam.
Ambuklao Dam supports a hydroelectric plant in the mountains of Bokod, Benguet provinces of the Philippines. The Hydroelectric Power Plant is the first among the largest hydroelectric power plants constructed in the Philippines and is one of the oldest. -Wikipedia
And as usual taken from other travel sites, mandatory jump shot happened. I cannot post it since no one did the perfect jump shot and some doesn’t oblige – epic fail! Until the alarm buzzed so we decided to leave the place and continue on our eccentric road trip. 





{07:52AM} Arrived at DENR where everyone should log in and out upon entering and leaving Mt. Pulag. Everyone is also obliged to undergo orientation about do’s and don’ts in the mountain. Orientation includes an 18.26 minutes video presentation with the theme “respect” headed by Ms. Emerita Alba. Main advocacy of DENR is protecting the environment, leave no trace manner, and save the cloud rats.






The house is full of memorabilia from our respective mountaineers, those who offer their life for the love of the mountains, those who left their company and school ID’s, calling cards, and even their health cards. I’m thinking to place our banner but I doubt there will be room for us.

There you can also buy souvenir stuffs; “Souvenir Shirts” costs P180, “Magnets” price range from P40 – P80, Bonnets, Scarves, Gloves, and even Souvenir Mugs.

{08:43AM} Left DENR and continue our rocking adventure. I was at the topload before getting DENR so this time I decided to stay inside on our way up to Ranger Station and gave the chance the other group to experience on top. Good decision though, I never expect of a literal rocking adventure. I thought it will be never ending plain roads but feels like we were inside the grinder all the way, no wonder Monster Jeeps deserved the claim.

{10:48AM} Finally arrived at the Ranger Station. An unending question finally answered, “Malapit na ba?!” A lot of mountaineers are all set and ready and so do I preparing to stretch my dead sleeping skeleton. 

There where you can also hire porters and local guides thru Mt. Pulag Eco Tour Guide and Porter Association (MPEPA). One per group of ten people. This is the assembly area before the official trek.




AMBANGUEG – AMBANGUEG TRAIL
{11:00AM} This is it! Start of our trek. I was packed and full covered from top to toe – bonnets, winter coat, trek pants and shoes. First five minutes is quite easy, though I feel like uneasy of what I was wearing so I decided to take them off and left just a plain shirt. I wanna feel the relaxing ambience of Benguet under the sunlight. 

Ambangueg Trail is simply for executives, the easiest way to Pulag compared to Akiki that is considered as the killer trail. It was an easy slope, gradual changes of trail, some assaults are ascending but majority is effortless. I would say that Tarak Ridge is much harder so far. I'm a bit excited since the last climb was a long time ago. I walked faster than the normal speed.



{11:45AM} Arrived at Camp1. The trail to Camp 1 is just a training ground; there were minimal steeps and the changes of altitude and thinning air. There were deeper breaths while passing through the pine forest.

Rested only for couple of minutes and grasp some “jellyace” to restore my lost energy. I was already chasing out my breath. Loud panting overheard. Some groups took their lunch but I managed not to eat much since it’s pretty hard to dump out Mr. “The POOHpooh”. 



This is Rudolph’s souvenir item. His precious head ripped out by a twig at the DENR. Remember that you have to take the stairs that is covered with flowering plants. Ingat ingat din.



I got the nerve again to continue hiking after my drained – body recovered and restored my energy. Everything is exciting especially the mossy forest. It would be my fist time walking in a mossy trail.


The air getting thinner, I was running out a breath while walking thru the mossy – muddy forest. It was my first time to see trees covered with mosses and the leaves have droplets coming from the fogs. I also see different types of weird plants and flowers and wild strawberry.
  






Along the trail – there are two water sources so I don’t mind bringing litres of water. Just make sure to have empty bottles. I’m not sensitive to unfamiliar water and in fact water from Mt. Pulag is way better. It feels like it runs to thousand of process of purification and yet the mineral is there. Ansarap! Plus it feels like it came out all the way from your fridge.



{01:23PM} At last, arrived at Camp 2. When I checked the time, we only walked for more than two hours. As my feet step the standing signage, there were fogs around the area, some were invisible to see. This mountain is really different, imagine in the middle of the day the place were covered with clouds.


We quickly pitched our tents after searching for the right place; we were also the second group arrived at the extension of Camp2. Other members started to arrive one by one and so other mountaineering groups. The temperature was dropping and the air getting thinner. I had to change my clothes to avoid getting sick. 




Stood still, I remember this from Ivan Lakwatsero these two lavatories remained standing. And I know this will be your companion in time of necessity. So before I left, we had an intimate exchange. Though I dint receive anything from him but he received a gift of glory from me. Ewww. 





The silent hill turned noisy, as everyone was busy pitching their tents. I decided to take lil rest since I had ruthless headache, dunno what the cause was. Somewhat like jellyfish-like pumping around my head. I slept for more than an hour and was relieved.

{07:40PM} I dunno the temperature but I know it was dropping few degrees more. Everyone is busy with non-sense chatting while others are preparing for their dinner. Thanks God there was no rain although fogs were thick. We had little socials but I decided to stay inside the tent to get warm. That time, I was already armed with two shirts, two jackets, two jogging pants, and two long socks. I heard someone shouting saying that the temperature dropped to 7.5°C. 





THE FREEZING CHALLENGE

The noisy hill turned back to its serenity, everyone is already hiding the poor body inside their tents. I set my phone to alarm at 3AM; then put my winter jacket, bonnet, gloves, and scarf. I closed my eyes and praying to get a little sleep. I already trembling and dying from the freezing environment. I am sleepy but can’t sleep. I sit and shook my body asking some warm. I look at the time and still at 9:30PM, why time damn so slow? I almost yield to surrender but there’s no way option. Nowhere to go. Another thing is when you really needed to pee. Though it’s easy for the boys to makeshift but who the hell go out and seize the nightmare.

I can’t stay longer outside and again asking for a lil sleep. Though it wasn’t raining but the moist started making its way inside the tent, too bad that I don’t have the ground sheet. I used to wipe them out from time to time and that didn’t make me sleep at all. My body already felt hard and my fingers got numb. I’m sneezing already that means that I have colds. I understand that the temperature is continuously dropping.

I woke up around 1:30AM and still helpless. I dunno what to do. I feel like jealous from other peeps singing their best snores. How come in the world they slept despite the hell coldness? Life is unfair. Thanks to Mike who offered his sleeping bag. At last, I slept for the last time.

Mike told me that I’m already snoring and that what I’m thanking about. Somehow I forgot what in the world happening. Until Rudolph wake us up. I checked the time and ‘twas already 2:40AM, I decided to go out so that my body will adjust. I have to dare the challenge. Rudolph started to fire the burner and boil water for coffee. Everyone woke up one by one, phones from our neighbouring tents buzzing. It’s already 3AM. They handed me a freshly boiled coffee but it didn’t burn my tongue. I can’t feel it. My mouth had smoke vapour every time I talk. It was that cold.  Temperature then was 5.4°C.



{03:30AM} We started to trek all the way to the peak. Other groups as well are on their way. I switched on my head gear and ready to summit. Mitch, Kenneth and Gelai decided to stay. I haven’t felt any coldness at all, my body adjusted. The sky was clear so I know the precious sea of clouds will show up. Everyone bit excited. 

The trail started with easy slopes and changes from time to time. You can also visualize the procession of mountaineers like fireflies with their headlamps.  




THE  ZENITH
{4:45AM} At last, the Peak! We only trek for more than an hour from Camp to Summit. I don’t see anything at the top but I know it would be very superb when the sun started to rise. Photographers started to set for their best shots; some were busy taking their solo photos in front of the dark skies. No visibility yet. The temperature dropped at 4.2°C using wristwatch although according to Yahoo Philippines, government officials confirmed that they recorded below zero at the summit of Mt. Pulag.

The skies become picturesque as the sun started to paint the heavens. The magnificent sea of clouds slowly revealing the real beauty. I am standing at 2,922 meters above sea leavel the highest place in Luzon. No words can express the feeling, I simply hold the freedom. All the suffering the previous night of hell cold was all worth it.  Walang Katumbas! Sobra..
















We left the summit around 6:30AM and I feel really hungry. Going down from the summit, there were rainbows arisen that entertained our eyes. We arrived at the camp nearly an hour and good thing they already prepared for breakfast. Daming Salamat dun.

I never expect for plenty of mountaineers during that weekend. The Tent City.



{10:05AM} Break Camp. Start our descent back to Ranger. Again I had four mountains including Pulag and yet it was my first time of non-stop walking down. The almost three hours of going up is only one hour and half of walking down. Soobrang nilagare.

{05:45PM} Arrived Baguio City. Hurriedly walked towards to Victory Liner to get the tickets back to Manila and unfortunately the next available schedule was 12:05AM. So we got no choice but to burn out time and explore all the luxury of Baguio City. Cheers to my newly found friends – Donna, Gelai, Naga, and Bogz and of course more mountains to climb to Mike, Kenneth, Mitch, Charo, Kim, Pong, Rochelle, and Dennis. Cheers!!!





Leave NO Trace (LNT) refers to a set of trail ethics. LNT principles are designed to promote conservation in the outdoors. Leave No Trace is built on seven principles: Plan Ahead and Prepare, Travel and Camp on Durable Surfaces, Dispose of Waste Properly, Leave What You Find, Minimize Campfire Impacts, Respect Wildlife, and Be Considerate of other Visitors. Wikipedia

7 COMMENTS:

lakwatserong tatay said...

ako man din namimiss ko na ang pulag...kahit twice na ko nakapunta iba parin ang ganda niya...
kainggit ka sir...di ko lang sure kung kelan ako makakabalik diyan..^_^

Unknown said...

@Manong Unyol:
Sobrang sarap ng piling sa topload..kitang kita mo ung panoramic view ng mountain ranges. I wanna go back there pero suko ako sa lamig.

Unknown said...

@Lakwatserong Tatay:
Nice one sir, u been there twice. Tama nga po kau, ibang iba pa din talaga ang ganda ng Pulag although fourth mountain ko pa lang siya pa rin ang toughest/topped mountain.

Unknown said...

wow! zero degree, ganda ng panahon pero hindi ako aakyat jan ng ganyan kalamig. haha.
topload, hindi ko pa naranasan yan!! pagbalik ko sana makapag topload na.
Congrats Sir. =)

Unknown said...

@Ella
Haha..pangarap ko kasi talaga mag topload, especially when I read blogs then most of them experienced topload. It gets me excited. And sa lamig naman, tinawag ko na lahat ng Santo sa sobrang ginaw, almost dying experience.

Anonymous said...

Certain foods will send glucose rushing into your blood which then triggers an insulin response which puts you directly into a fat storing mode.
Wenn du ein Mädchen ansprechen willst, um auch eine Antwort zu
kriegen und eine Unterhaltung anzufangen, dann musst du mit deiner
Anschreib-Mail hervorstechen. Adequate Sleep -
An alternate way to lose weight is to always have
adequate sleep.

My homepage http://esccb.edu.pt
my website > just click the next article

Anonymous said...

Every weekend i used to pay a quick visit this web page, as i
wish for enjoyment, for the reason that this this web page conations really good funny
information too.

My web-site walking calculator

Popular posts

 

THEKIDWANDERER Copyright © 2011 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates