5 WHEN BAD THINGS HAPPEN, OUR FIRST DAY IN SINGAPORE


Arrived in Woodlands CIQ (Singapore-Malaysia border) around 5AM but we were stuck at the immigration line. Though there are about 20 counters open but each counter is serving two lines. I think we spent more than an hour there waiting for our turn. I can’t believe how many people crossing borders each day and can’t imagine how busy these immigration officers carefully checking all the travel documents. 

When everything all cleared, we went straight to ground level where bus terminals are located. I saw people falling in line, it’s really crowded. Just like MRT line during rush hour in Manila it’s really really long. While everyone in rushed, I am also hasty looking for money changer. I don’t have any SGD and even my travel buddies. Because I know and I’m sure that there will be money changer whenever you are entering borders.

And it turned out nothing! I'm all wrong. Woodlands does not have any money changer and the nearest is in MRT stations but you are required to ride bus to get to closest station.


I don’t know what to do anymore. We were thinking to look for Filipinos working in Singapore who can lend us money just to get to the nearest MRT station but I think it’s impossible. So I can’t think of any solution.

I have asked several people but they only have one response, that you can’t find any money changer here! And then I asked this guy wearing glasses if it’s possible to get to nearest MRT station by foot. He said no, better to ride bus. I told him the situation. I told him I have USD but no SGD.


I need miracle. Bus fare is 1 SGD so we need 3 SGD for the three of us. He asked me if I have at least 3 SGD and I said none, nothing at all!

After a couple of seconds, he grabbed his wallet from his pocket and told me that he is willing to lend me 3 SGD only. He has extra money but not enough. I feel so embarrassed. We have money but we can't use it!

When he is about to hand the three 1 SGD coins, I suddenly remembered that I have 5 SGD note in my wallet. I remember that my friend who is working in Singapore gave it to me about 2 years ago when he return home for Christmas vacation.

God is really good all the time! No doubt! The headline of this article should be "How 5SGD Saved our First Day in Singapore".


About 6:30 AM we arrived at Kranji Station, the nearest MRT station in Woodlands Checkpoint. We quickly look for money changer however it looks like we will be facing another dilemma.

Whew I really love Singapore; I love how the Lion City greets us. The only money changer in Kranji opens at 9 AM. Well I can smell that we will be waiting for more than two hours. I only have 2 SGD left and I don’t think it’s enough to buy breakfast. We’re all hungry but we have no choice. I have 300 Malaysian Ringgit but I doubt they will accept it or even USD.


We were patiently waiting for 9 AM and glad that they opened on time. I exchanged my 100 USD and after one hour travel time from Kranji to Kallang Station we finally arrived at Coziee Lodge at Geylang Road. I should be excited watching outside while riding the MRT to see how beautiful the Lion City is but I found myself sleeping quietly at the corner.

Here's our first glance of Singapore.




5 COMMENTS:

None said...

Aww, that's too bad. When I went to SG, I haven't experienced anything like that. Been there twice, always had the best treatment. The locals were so nice and helpful. Even when we weren't asking, they volunteered to help us. Even old people at the park strike a random conversation with us. :D

It was also probably not the peak season when we visited, so lines weren't long anywhere. But I have heard stories that sometimes immigration is strict, and sometimes rude to travelers, even at Malaysia. Maybe it depends on the season. If you probably go on a peak season/holiday/weekend, when there are lots of people, workers tend to be at their worse at the end of the day due to the many travelers/tourists they have to deal with.

Joy said...

That was an experience! Next time be prepared.
Have a nice day:)

Unknown said...

@Van-Chan,

I don't really blame Singapore. In fact I want to go back there or perhaps work there. I blame myself because I came unprepared. I should exchange my money to SGD.

But if you would ask me, they should have at least money changer at the Woodlands CIQ.

:D

Unknown said...

@Joy,

Yep, lesson learned! Thanks. Godbless.

Travelling to Bali said...

good job...

Popular posts

 

THEKIDWANDERER Copyright © 2011 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates