5 NGONG PING 360 AT LANTAU ISLAND IN HONG KONG





I woke up the next morning with full of positivity. What happened yesterday is just a history, an unforgettable story. I admit that I throw out words of hatred if I would step my feet back to Macau. I got full of hesitation. But I didn’t realize the lessons behind it. Getting lost is simply joy. Getting lost is the initial test of being travel junkie.

Third day of our tour is to visit Lantau Island. A colleague gave us an idea to pay visit Hong Kong’s largest island. Lantau Island is located at the mouth of the Pearl River, the island has been developed in recent years with the construction of Tung Chung New Town and the completion of several major infrastructure project including Hong Kong International Airport, Hong Kong Disneyland and Ngong Ping 360.

And speaking about Ngong Ping, a 360° panoramic view of Hong Kong’s mountain plateau via sky rail line. This is a must see attraction and should not be missed when visiting Hong Kong. Lantau Island offered not just the longest cable car ride but also a popular tourist destination – Tan Tian Buddha.

o   How to get to Tung Chung via MTR: Starting from Tsim Sha Tsui Station to Central Station [red line] then interchange to Hong Kong Station to Tung Chung Station [orange line].
o   Reminders: If you have plan to visit Ngong Ping, be sure to wake up early – travel time from Tsim Sha Tsui to Tung Chung will take approximately 45 minutes, and expect for a long queue. Or I advise be there before the opening hours, [Weekdays: 10-6pm, Weekends: 9-630pm], because when I say long queue, expect 1 to 2 hours of waiting that will take your patience away. Don’t forget to bring your passport! If I’m not mistaken we have discounted price for cable ride.
o   For additional information how to get there, please refer to this website

As soon as we get off the train I was looking for something to eat. I never expect for a long ride all the way from Tsim Sha Tsui to Tung Chung. I looked over my watch and it took us approximately 45 minutes ride. Good thing CityGateOutlets is just around the corner that houses array of food and outlet stalls. Speaking of which, this mall will surely strike your pockets. I’ll tell you later!

CityGateOutlets.don't forget to visit this place if you want to visit HK or else you miss half of your life. :)
On the back of City Gate Outlet is the starting line to cable car. No more surprise, no more complain, and just bring your best patience if you want to experience Ngong Ping.

o   Cabins and Prices:
§  There are only two types of cabin – Standard and Crystal cabin. Crystal cabin is more expensive because it is equipped with a glass bottom. A see through bird’s eye view on the bottom of your skyline trail. Expect eight people per cabin.
·         Standard Cabin Roundtrip: Adult = $125, Children = $62, Senior = $98.
·         Standard Cabin Single Trip: Adult = $86, Children = $44, Seniors = $70
·         Crystal Cabin Roundtrip: Adult = $188, Children = $125, Seniors = $161
·         Crystal Cabin Single Trip: Adult = $130, Children =   $88, Seniors = $114
   *** Children ages 3-11, Seniors 65+
§  Private Cabin – whether standard and crystal cabin, the difference is you can ride the cable car by your family only or your loved one plus free entry to themed attractions – Walking with Buddha and Monkey Tale Theatre.
·         Standard Cabin: $2,700/cabin
·         Crystal Cabin: $3,200/cabin

Who else excited..first time!
After more than an hour of waiting standing from a long queue, we finally met the woman behind the glass bars. Tickets scanned but passports were presented for a reason of discounted price exclusively for foreign visitors.

Each cabin contains eight passengers, whether you like it or not but you pushed to join other visitors which make you feel awkward. Our cabin composed of different nationalities, there were Chinese and Americans. 

My clothes are hanging on top of the mountain.
HK Internatinal Airport can be seen from cable car.
As the gondola lift started to move my eyes were again mesmerized by the city’s charm. I feel the fulfilment and when we reached the zenith, Hong Kong is not just a city of skyscrapers. The country is surrounded by soaring mountain ranges and bluish inlets. Hong Kong is not just one big urban city but diverge in rich community. 

The ride was smoothly slow to captivate the momentum on the top of the mountains; there were hikers downhill and birds on the skies. Until I saw a Giant Buddha so I know we are close already. You have all the time to cage the scenery, cable ride runs thirty minutes starting from Tung Chung to Ngong Ping. The potential downside of Cable car is their frequent maintenance schedule, so please don’t forget to check their website or else you will take by land and never complete your story in travelling via sky line.

Here we are..if you think we are close. Nah..count another fifteen mins before you land.
When we get off the cable car, I can’t help myself taking pictures on every side of the village. My cam memory is almost full and the battery is about to die. But then again my addiction prevails. We walk around the village with different Chinese architectures standing elsewhere. Ngong Ping Village is manmade theme park so don’t expect of much Chinese accent. The place is in high altitude so the temperature is getting colder.



As we walk going to the middle of the village I took some photos and we were welcome by twelve divine generals representing Chinese birth year. We smacked a pose similar to our chosen generals.

o   The Names of the Twelve Heavenly Generals are: Kumbhira for Rat, Vajra for Ox, Mihira for Tiger, Andira for Rabbit, Anila for Dragon, Sandilya for Snake, Indra for Horse, Pajra for Sheep, Mahoraga for Monkey, Sindura for Rooster, Catura for Dog and Vikarala for Boar.
Strike a pose with our favourite Heavenly Guardians.
Finally the Tian Tan Giant Buddha. It is the largest outdoor bronze statue in the world and before you can take photo closer to Buddha you need to take 268 steps. And even if I have this huge body built, seen from the ground I surely reach the top without any sign of weary. But I regret with my words, in the middle of my challenge I’m so dead drain and my entire body is drenched to sweats.

Up on the top, you can see another panoramic view enveloping Lantau Island. The air is freezing but my body temperature was too high from unexpected physical test. Well as I remember the first noble truth of Buddhism is life suffering.

Tian Tan Buddha is surrounded by six guardians. 


Great Buddha..Tian Tan Buddha

The Six Guardians.
After our prayers, we need to step down to roam around the village. Po Lin Monastery is located on the discreet side next to Giant Buddha stairs. Inside Monastery I thought taking pictures is prohibited but I saw visitors took theirs so I took mine. Po Lin Monastery is the best place for soul searching or you want peace of mind. You can feel the silence and respect. I noticed that there were fresh fruits in front of three statues of Buddha.

By the way entering Po Lin Monastery is free but you can offer donations. There coin box in the middle of entrance gates.




After our tour we drift around the area to look for foods where stalls are on the left side of the village. There are dogs rambling around the village but they’re not risky. In fact after I placed my palm towards his neck, his tails wiggled sign of our mutual friendship.

And the sun was about to rest so we quickly went back to cable car station to avoid long queue. Unfortunately it was too late. The estimated time of waiting from where we stand was one hour so no choice but again to wait.


The place is getting dark and the atmosphere is freezing. So please don’t forget to bring your jackets, hand gloves, or anything that can keep you warm. Even white people were complaining for cold winds passing thru their slender skins. It was already 6pm before we boarded the cable car so my fingers were inflexible, I can’t even move my body, I feel like smoke were coming out from my mouth the moment I speak. 


We arrived in Tung Chung in freezing mode. So I took my jacket off to absorb all the heat provided by the city lights and vehicles. Then visit City Gate Outlet. This mall houses all branded shops. Signature polo shirts that I love to buy here in the Philippines is much cheaper in City Gate. So we bought four Giordano Polo shirts for HK$110/each [P605.00]. I also checked my favourite Nike and Adidas shoes for price comparison only since I don’t have money already, enough for our remaining tour. Shoes ranging (in peso) from 2,000 to 4,000 compared to 7,000 here in Manila. Then after mouth watering prices, we check out chocolates for pasalubong.

5 COMMENTS:

Unknown said...

Sobrang ganda sir, parang umakyat lang din ako ng bundok. Btw ang ganda sa kanila, may mga mountaineers din pero ung trail sa kanila sementado. Haha! Panalo nga e.

HikeAddict said...

Nice photos sir! Excited na ako pumunta dyan kasi nakabili ako sa cash cash pinoy ng deal na travel to hong kong hehe. May restaurant kaya sa area na yan hehe

Unknown said...

@HikeAddict;

Thanks for dropping by Idol. May mga restaurant actually madami dun na mismo sa taas malapit sa Buddha! Marami ding mga street vendors na masasarap din ung luto nila. :D

Happy Travels!

-IAMBCHK

Arnel said...

great post, actually was looking for a great vacation for this summer and I saw your blog post, its a great place to visit this summer, will take note about this. so far I am checking the tri-city asia package that my friend saw at cashcashpinoy

Unknown said...

Hello Arnel,

Thanks for dropping by.

Yes travel now and no regrets tomorrow. Traveling is fun! Life is too short thinking all the challenges. It's already part..so get out and have the sweetscape.

Happy Traveling!!

Regards,
-THEKIDWANDERER

Popular posts

 

THEKIDWANDERER Copyright © 2011 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates