0 THAILAND: A GLIMPSE TO THE KINGDOM OF "SIAM"


It was 2012 the last time I traveled out of the country. I had a great experience seeing the world outside the place I have grown up. While on the plane going to Hong Kong it seems like I’m not yet convinced that there are other places outside the Philippines. I know I'm just kidding but honestly those questions ran on my mind. Anyway after nearly two years I’ll have to experience again traveling out of the country. Thanks to Cebu Pacific with their piso-fare promos – now everyone has the chance to fly. This time we will be traveling to Thailand, a place that is somehow closer to the heart of Filipinos.

Since we are scheduled to depart by 9PM, we have to leave very early to avoid horrendous traffic. Expectedly we arrived four hours ahead of time, well better than never, been expecting to this trip so earlier the better. I don’t want to experience again about what happened during my HK trip, about an encounter with immigration officer. I had a crazy experience because of my sore eyes. Thankfully this time I'm sick free – they’re off limits. Also, no more erratic questions coming from the officer since my passport has stamps already. We only had quick and friendly conversation like how much did I pay for the ticket and how many days will be staying there. And before I forget, one is obliged to pay travel tax fee of P1600 and terminal fee of P600. Masakit sa bulsa noh?

Tigerair Philippines, another subsidiary of Cebu Pacific Airline taxying at NAIA Terminal 3.
When the bird started its engine, I have no choice but to sleep. I don’t have view outside. As the plane took off, everyone was looking for the best position to get sleep and so do I. Air conditioned freezing the cabin, lights switched off one by one, and my consciousness followed the stream in a cramped space. Half of our trip, I heard flight attendant chatting indistinctively, they were giving out the arrival cards to fill out. I checked outside the plexiglass window and I see nothing except a dark clouds catching the moonlight. I assumed we were above Vietnam or Cambodia.

Then I started filling out the necessary information on the arrival card. Please make sure that you have your pen and your passport with you if in case you don't know your passport number. Also the address of the hotel you will be staying.

Thailand Arrival Card
A couple of minutes later, I heard pilot’s cracking voice along with the ding dong, seatbelt sign lit up. It is a signal that everyone have to buckle up as we near the destination. We landed safely at Suvarnabhumi Airport, pronounced as Suwannaphum (IATA: BKK / ICAO:VTBS). As a person with extensive interest of mechanical birds, I can’t help taking photos on different planes parking around the gigantic airport. I was really enthralled especially when I get to see the largest passenger airliner. Darn it! A380 is the world’s biggest passenger plane and take note, airports have to upgrade facilities just to accommodate this double-deck-wide-body and four-engine jet liner.

As we stepped out the plane I wish to do the colloquial tradition that you have the kiss the ground especially when you are new to the place. Yikes, just kidding. Fresh and easy, Sawa dee Krap..welcome to Thailand! Whew new environment, new culture, fresh faces. This is my first glimpse of Siam, I can smell the land of the free, although despite the current political turmoil I appreciate their open presence as they presented us a wide smiles. I finally set foot to the land that I only read on history textbooks.



View outside the Airpot. (c) suvarnabhumiairport.com
To avoid the long queue at the immigration, we have to be very quick to line up and get stamped so we are free to explore the country. Incoming visitors from ASEAN countries have a designated line since citizens from these nations are visa-free as part of the signed agreement. Glad that the immigration officer didn't ask any questions, I just heard my passport got stamped and viola...welcome to Thailand!


Thailand it is!
Since we arrived past 12 midnight we have no choice but to take the cab going to City proper. Airport Link would be the best option but train operation is only from 6AM – 12MN. If you arrived before 12MN then I would recommend taking the train, it is located at the ground floor inside the airport. Airport Link is traveling from Suvarnabhumi Airport to Phaya Thai station.  Phaya Thai is your starting point to explore the city with direct interchange.

In our case, cabs are available 24/7 so again we got no choice but to take the taxi. Fortunately they use their meter going to downtown Bangkok however it is required to pay additional 50Baht for the driver plus the meter. I don’t want to speak in general, however we encountered problem in communicating with the driver, I dunno maybe a tout but when we get at the Pratunam area he kept on saying “one-way” until the meter reaches 400Baht and at the same time he doesn't know the hotel. So we decided to just step out and walk looking for the hotel we reserved.

Thailand Airport Link booth located at the ground floor of Suvarnabhumi Airport.

0 COMMENTS:

Popular posts

 

THEKIDWANDERER Copyright © 2011 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates