2 How We Celebrate Barrio Fiesta!

The Philippines is one of the countries in the South East Asian region that celebrates the most number of festivals. Festival is normally refers to a religious holiday, and the word festival in the Philippines being one of the Spanish colonies is fiesta. It is the most common term to denote a religious feast to honor a patron saint. Fiesta is already part of the lives of Filipino and the endowment of Philippine culture.

The Banderitas, a colorful trimming used for Fiesta Banners 
As a Christian nation, we have different patron saints. Each will surely have an honoring date to celebrate. And that fiesta should push through whether in good or bad times. If you could only check the Department of Tourism's calendar of events you can say that we have it every month, and a couple of these festivities each month anywhere in the Philippines.


However with all these fiestas, expectations like street dancing with colorful costumes and sparkling dances, vivacious music and the gigantic props. This will only happen to some big cities in the country like in Sinulog, Ati-Atihan, Pintados, Masskara, and the mother of all fiesta - Aliwan Fiesta in Metro Manila. Ours is different, we’re living in a small Barrio so we don’t embrace the kind of activities. Instead, a simple celebration that each family has to prepare food and will have something to offer whenever visitors comes in. And when the night comes, Sayawan sa Plaza would be the next program.

What is that you cooking Kuyas? :)
Let's cook in a Big Kawa, two is better than one.
And this is one of the reasons why I love coming back home. Aside from haven’t seeing my parents for quite some time, I missed the place especially the people. When you get there you can’t seem to escape the moment of reminiscing, the places to which have been part of your life, and the people to which you can’t seem to recall their names but you fully remember their faces. Everything changed! I think the only thing in this world that will not change is change.

Our fiesta held annually of the 24th and 25th of May. It is a two-day celebration to give thanks to our patron saint – Nuestra Señora dela Salvacion. However I was surprised that the local officials considered the 23rd as “Balik-Barangay” night. This is for the homegrown people who decided to join the feast that have gone for time. Like me, I spent my years here in Manila so I am considered as the balik-barangay..somewhat like balik-bayan for OFW’s.

This is Puso, a rice wrapped in a palm leaves which resembles to a diamond shape.
When my parents learned that I’ll be coming home this fiesta, they have prepared so much. And ya’ll know when you say fiesta – it’s all about slap-up meal. I don’t think I will need to explain more how the preparation was, just let the pictures tell it all. However I told my parents that I missed so much the seafood. Well I think I don't need to mention it from them, they know that when someone comes back home they're tend to look for fresh seafood. As expected, they have prepared Crabs, Tuna, and Ginamos just for me, all fresh! They just love me so much. Hahaha. Maybe because they haven't see me for more than four years; we only talked over the phone and internet does not exist there.

I would say that they are prepared for my homecoming so I was thinking what to bring from them. Early days, one should bring cans of biscuits and chocolates if you’re coming from Manila but since I would only have 3 days, just a quick visit and purely backpacking. I only brought summer cool shirts for my father and brothers, very light to bring and I saved so much space, at the same time perfect wear for scorching summer heat. On the other hand I want the young adult in line with clothing trends in the City so I dressed with pocket shorts and stylish sneakers.

I know you want me, I know you want mehhh.
I'm ready for yah, are you ready for me too?
This would be the normal view when you go around the barrio, look up and if you see smokes hovering the skies, there is only thing that is happening, fiesta lechon has just started. And take note everyone is invited whoever you are. This is what I missed about our fiesta, I never felt like this here in Metropolis. In fact I've been here for more than a decade and sometimes I won’t even know that fiesta is currently happening. Hehehe hilarious.

They're busy!
I dunno what is this, but these taste good.
Hey cuz, I know your cute, but your daughter is cutie-patootie just like the red head in front of you. :)
One of the highlights during fiesta is the parade of the beauty queens; yes we have those – starting from the Baby Queen to Lady Queen and to Mother Queen. The parade is led by the band and bugle followed by different organization and the Barangay officials.

One of the Lady Queens. 
And of course our dearest Mother Queens, they can't just accept that they're already mothers. :)
The outside view of our humble Chapel.
Inside the Chapel. Hope to raise more funds.
After all the celebration and activities, thou shall not forget that the main reason why fiesta is to honor the patron saint. I was surprised that the church was packed of people thanking our patron saint for a fruitful year that passed and looking forward for a productive one. I should have come every year for the annual fiesta celebration. Thank you Barangay Salvacion for letting me experience again all the happiness. Still Happy Fiesta!

2 COMMENTS:

Unknown said...

Seemingly we have same fiesta bro. Prepared talaga ng todo. Pinag-iipunan sa buong taon. Sana maka-attend uli ako ng fiesta smin. Medyo matgal tagal na rin.

Unknown said...

Wait san ba sanyo Billy? Maybe we can go there? Sana malapit lang.. Hahaha. Lol.

Popular posts

 

THEKIDWANDERER Copyright © 2011 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates