0 THAILAND: BUMPED WITH STUDENTS SURVEY ABOUT MARTIAL LAW SELFIE

One day is not enough; Wat Pho is one of the largest and oldest temples in Thailand so I don’t think a single day is enough to cover the whole place. We decided to end the tour after an hour or two and commenced whatever on the itinerary. Grand Palace is the next stop that is seated right across the temple.

But before we check out the Grand Palace we decided to eat some street foods. There were numbers of vendors outside the temple and has plenty of choices. There were meatballs, hotdogs, dried squid, and even grilled corn, and a lot more.

While tasting those foods, there were group of students approached and asked me if I’m willing to answer some questions. It was a school project; a survey where audience should be foreign tourist.  I’m kind of hesitant at first but when I read the questionnaires, it’ about the martial law selfies which now hip in Thailand that draws attention to the world. Well I read about it before I came to Thailand, so I was interested to participate.


(c) (Piti A Sahakorn/LightRocket via Getty Images)
The questions were answerable by five categories, strongly (agree/disagree), agree/disagree and neutral. First question was about the visibility of military personnel. When I arrived at the Phra Nakhon District, where Wat Pho and Grand Palace situated, I see none. However there were numbers of soldiers standing right outside the Palace. They also asked me as a foreign tourist if we feel safe or at peace when soldiers are visible in the streets. And lastly, I know they will ask me about taking pictures with them. Well given a chance, I'd love to. It would be a rare opportunity as a traveler to have pictures as such. Though in respect, if those soldiers do not tolerate such actions then I will not. 

Below are the pictures I got from the internet with foreign tourists doing a selfie.


(c) (Dario Pignatelli/Bloomberg via Getty Images)
(c) (Rufus Cox/Getty Images
Though coup has an enormous effect in the government and the people, especially the visibility of the soldiers, but the government made sure that they relax martial law on visiting foreign tourists. I don’t think either they do have this curfew. We arrived very early in the morning around 1AM and I see people drinking alcohol right on the side of the streets both local and foreign. And with this ‘selfie’ I don’t think it has a wide effect on the integrity both the government and the soldiers. It’s a coup without a coup after all. They’re just friendly enough with the foreign people visiting their country. So if they would ask me again if there’s an issue having this ‘selfie’ with Thai soldiers, then I don’t think there will be, but then if they don’t allow with this activity then everyone should follow.

After quick interview with questions, they gave me this gift. :). Thank you for this beautiful treasure, I promise to keep this and I shall come back. :)


0 COMMENTS:

Popular posts

 

THEKIDWANDERER Copyright © 2011 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates