3 PAINS: POSITIVE ATTITUDE IN NEGATIVE SITUATION

"If you can learn from the worst times of your life, you'll be ready to do into the best times of your life.". I grabbed this quote from the internet and I guess it's a perfect reminder from my past and incoming wanderings. To learn to become best at the worst moments. You can't really avoid things to happen but when you learn from it, I'm sure next time, things will be in place.


So far in my rambling experiences I haven’t have horrific experienced yet and maybe when you hear my story you would want to think that it’s "mani" or "chicken" compared to your story. However this story of mine is so far the most depressing and I guess more experiences to come and should be ready.

We were planning to celebrate Christmas in Baguio and Sagada. We've been to the summer capital a couple of times but not yet in Sagada so we give it try since we heard good feedback about this place. However it’s really hard to travel for longer hours so we decided to stay in Baguio for a day then have to catch the trip early morning tomorrow. That night we planned to meet old friends and have some drinks. The next morning, we woke up around 7AM, although it’s late but it is on the itinerary to be at Old Dangwa Station before 8AM.

Surprisingly there were huge number of passengers going home in the Mountain Provinces and not that I expected the upsurge. Nevertheless I’m not worried at all. I know GL Trans, the only Bus Company that travels from Baguio all the way to Sagada has 6 trips daily. If we can’t catch the first or even second trip we still have the remaining four trips to take.


I was on the line; stepping forward inch by inch and you’ll never hear any objections from me. The first trip just left and the second trip is waiting for us. After more than two hours on the line, at last I can see the girl behind the ticket booth and when my turn comes she just simply said that no more tickets and there are only two trips today.

"Please be here early tomorrow", her final word.

Mga Kurimaw! Ay kapurbida..!@#$%^&**()

I couldn't recognise how my face looked like. I was so dismay and very disappointed. I quickly called our contact person in Sagada told her about what happened and asking if there would be another option or else we will be cancelling our hotel reservation for that day. She said we can catch The Rising Sun Transport at the Slaughterhouse Road en route to Bontoc, then take jeep to Sagada for about 20 minutes.
  

After that call we grabbed taxi straight to another terminal. There were less people compared in Old Dangwa but you wouldn’t want to like it. There is no ticket reservation or even any line. When bus arrives it’s up to you how quick will you be to reserve seat. The challenge triples the MRT situation during rush hours. And when the bus arrived, you wouldn't want to imagine how people gone crazy. I thought I’m prepared enough since I ride MRT almost everyday. I'm sure words are not enough to explained the drastic scene.

We know for sure that Sagada no more for that day, unless we are willing to pay 5,000 PHP for a van -for-hire that would bring us there. Hotels in Baguio are all jam-packed, more local tourists visit highlands during the holidays to experience the spirit of Christmas weather.

We then searching over the internet for available hostels at least the cheapest price. Fortunately we found this Upstairs Bed and Bath that is good enough to cover our dead body from freezing atmosphere for that night.


We woke up early the next morning and left hostel about 4 AM, yes that is too early because we already learned what happened yesterday. Also it was 24th, day before Christmas so expect of more commuters are going back home. When we get at the Old Dangwa Station, there were hundreds of people already on the line waiting for the ticketing office to open. You wouldn’t be surprised at all but you would ask where the heck people coming from? They're probably sleeping at the terminal.

I got no choice but to fall in line again and hugging the cold weather of the highlands. Aside from the clatter of the engines, commuters chose to be quiet while covered with thick sweater while other busy sipping hot coffee. I pulled up my headset and decided to entertain with some hip-hop music. The office opens after an hour and start giving out tickets. That time we’re not certain if we could get tickets despite being too early. And then I heard people chanting in local dialect so I had to ask them what the commotions about. They said that there are only few tickets available.

That time we were already terrified, all we want is to experience Sagada. 

So this would be another worst moment, do we just stand and wait for some gracious gift from heaven? The clock runs so fast, we haven’t secured tickets yet. My partner asked me to stay on the line and he will do something unfavorable. He went near the booth and talked to people one by one. They only give three tickets per person, good thing this old lady who is traveling alone agreed to buy tickets for us in exchange for a free ride. So there you go!!!


After butt-numbing seven-hour ride we finally set foot in Sagada. We only have one day to explore the whole place and no more reason to follow the prepared itinerary. We rest at hostel for an hour then shower then went straight to Yoghurt House to get some brunch. Afterwards we headed to the tourist center for the Echo Valley Tour which started from Sumaguing Cave, to CalvaryHill, Episcopal Church, and the Hanging Coffins. We got no choice but just stay at the town proper. 

Nevertheless with all the setbacks it feels so grateful to experience Sagada in just a short period of time. In fact in less than 24 hours.


The next morning, we woke early to experience the Kiltepan viewpoint and orange picking at Café Bodega. Afterwards we led straight to hostel to check out and catch the only trip going back to Baguio. According the GL Trans office they only have one trip at 8AM so make sure to be there before that time to reserve seat and catch the trip.

We arrived at the terminal by 7:30AM which is only walking distance from hostel. Unfortunately the officer said that the bus left around 7AM.

What the heck! Juice colored.

I thought we’re all done with misfortunes within this trip but there you go again.  Locals advised us to take jeep going down to Bontoc but not sure if there will be bus schedule to Baguio since it’s December 25. Wow, I can’t believe will be getting the most crazy experience in the middle of Christmas day. Thankfully when we get to Bontoc, the last and only trip was about to leave and we made it!

With all the misadventures I learned a lot of things, how to cope up when bad things happen. It is indeed positive attitude in negative situation.

I learned that being frustrated isn’t going to solve anything. Problem is already there, if I will not do something nothing will happen. I got a chance to stay in Baguio for another night and experienced sleeping in a backpacking lodge where you can see other guests next to your bed. Though it was my first time yet I think it’s perfect to socialize with other travelers that you barely know.

I learned that there’s always a choice. Although no more chance to get to Sagada but the other choice is why don’t explore Baguio by night.

And the most of all always look forward to overcome the challenges. Like what they say: Life is a journey of learning and growth, and everything happens for a reason. So whatever the obstacles maybe think something to divert your frustrations and eventually you will get over the challenges. 






PAINS is my first ever entry to the PTB Blog Carnival, October 2014 edition with the theme: “The Worst Travel Moments”. This edition is hosted by Jona Branzuela Bering of backpackingwithabook.com

3 COMMENTS:

Anonymous said...

Nice arnie!

Unknown said...

I can just imagine the hurdle.
come now, It was holiday! :-D

Unknown said...

I think you're right Pao. This would be the perfect time to conquer Sagada. Unfortunately I had to save my remaining leave credits for the Holiday.

The effing perks of corporate slave? You feel me? hehehe.

Popular posts

 

THEKIDWANDERER Copyright © 2011 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates