3 The Echo Valley & The Hanging Coffins; Sagada's Best!

The Famous Hanging Coffins, Sagada.
Fresh from an epic body twists and manoeuvers inside Sumaging Cave. We asked our guide to bring us to Echo Valley where you can also see from afar the famous Hanging Coffins. We don’t have enough time as it's near dark. Although, Echo Valley is convenient and not needed for guide and ride because it is seated few meters from the town proper near bus terminal. However we still asked Ate Mel to accompany us and we have to pay additional.


St. Mary the Virgin Parish, Sagada.
The trail starts from terminal area then to St. Mary Church then stairs to enter the Calvary Hill (Mission Compound) Cemetery.

I’m telling you, this is the most accessible tourist spot in Sagada. Only five to ten minutes walk and you’ll have the view of Echo Valley and Hanging Coffins.

The Historic Bell.
All the way to Calvary Hill you will pass by the standing proud St. Mary Episcopical Church and tarnished Sagada Bell in the heart of the town. As per Ate Mel, the bell is truly a symbol of diligence and persistence. The Bell was requested from Church of Vigan and the transfer was then a problem. Imagine how this huge and weighty bell mounted in the highest town.

The Calvary Hill (Mission Compound) Cemetery.
The Calvary Hill
The jeep brought us up all the way to the entrance of cemetery. Echo valley is only ten minutes walked but you will passed by the Calvary Hill.

I asked our guide if there will be Panag-Apoy tonight as I read from the internet.

She said that it only happened during the dusk of All Sain’ts Day, 1st of November. This practice is being done by creating a fire using dry pine woods or locally term as saeng before lighting a candle. The locals will then perform traditional dances part of their rituals while wearing traditional costumes.

After a little background about the Cemetery, we cruised to witness the enigmatic Valley. The trail is a little steep and narrow which I found easy. I know I am inclined of some steepest trailer in my climbing experience. But for beginners, don’t worry it’s safe.


The Echo Valley.
The town of Sagada seen from Echo Valley.
Couple of minutes later, we reached the Echo Valley. Why Echo Valley by the way? When you shout your voice will bounce back. It feels like you have the loudest shout as it will stream the entire valley. This is not new to me; we are always doing it back during my childhood days in the province. But I miss shouting really.

However I found it disrespectful, because the Echo Valley is in between the public cemetery and the Hanging Coffins.  The place should be quiet and peaceful as a sign of respect to those departed. This is only my view, please don't get me wrong.

We stayed at the valley for couple of minutes. There are foreign and local tourists coming in and also pretty excited to take pictures and selfies. I heard some people shouting while going back to the Valley from the Hanging Coffins. 

Then our guide asked us if we are done.

I said, “No, would it be possible to go up close?”

Seems like she doesn’t want us to go there, maybe because there was a tree fell down and block the trail. And I was like compulsive. My visit will never be complete without getting nearby the Hanging Coffins. She agreed but we’ll have to climb down slowly. I understand that she is just thinking our safety.


Hanging Coffins, up close. #TwoThumbsUp
And finally I was able to go up close at the Hanging Coffins. And I was like fulfilled and finally the place that I only dreamt in front of monitor is now right before my eyes, face to face. I can’t avoid having pictured very near so I pushed myself climbing on the rock. It's bit dangerous but I made it.

And I can’t also resist having pictured it on my phone and put it on my facebook page real time. A Christmas gift indeed. Hehe.

Only Igorots who died a natural death are allowed to put inside the coffin, there are other burial caves around the town depending the cause of death. The hanging coffins are small so you will think that only babies will fit into those tiny coffins. Part of the tradition, the deceased body should go back to fetus like position so if you witness the deceased body you will really the bones cracking. The coffin is hanged first before placing the corpse inside it, so before the day of funeral, so imagine how locals placed the corpse inside it.



3 COMMENTS:

Unknown said...

I hope to visit Sagada next year. :-)

Unknown said...

@Pau:

Well planning to visit once again next year..for Cave Connection. Hehe.

Gigi said...

It's weird to see people smiling 'selfie' pictures by the coffins. Really??

Popular posts

 

THEKIDWANDERER Copyright © 2011 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates